The Answer East Complaint

The Answer automotive repair shop is a fairly popular (reputable?) company in Evansville, IN.  I was having some problems with my 02 Dodge Durango, so I had it towed in.  That's where it sat, for over 3 weeks, without one courtesy phone call.  Here's my story.

The problem with the Durango was an intermittent problem, but not so much that it couldn't be replicated.  However, it took me giving THEM a call every few days to check on the status, where I was told they were just working on it.  At which point, I gave them just under 3 weeks and informed them that I would be picking it up, upset at the length of time it was taking them to diagnose.

A few days later I called them again, notifying them that I was picking it up the next day.  The manager informed me they had located an issue with an O2 sensor and could have it fixed.  This was in the morning and I asked if they could have it done today.  The manager informed me that they were busy and might be able to get to it tomorrow.  Come on, over 3 weeks in the shop, and they want to put me off another day?

At this point the manager got short with me, trying to guilt me into letting them do an over priced O2 sensor job.  Well, I had enough and immediately when and picked up my vehicle, only to have it fail on me as I was pulling out of The Answer East side parking lot.

Summary

Terrible Customer Service - No Phone Calls

Too Long To Diagnose - Took over 3 Weeks

Over Priced - They attempt to make up their 'free' diagnostic fee by over pricing simple parts and installation.

I will never recommend to anyone to use The Answer, at least The Answer East.  Find another reputable company in Evansville to do business with for car repair, these guys were worth the $40 it took to have my vehicle towed in.  Why they never called me, even after they found the supposed problem, is beyond me.  Oh well, I hear they are always busy.

12 Comments

1. Well, I can understand your frustration with The Answer East. I can relate a story as well, that involved them installing my parts for me, not fixing the problem, then not tightening hoses when they installed a second set of my parts to fix the issue they were supposed to fix the first time.

But the reason I’m writing is because The Answer East is a totally different garage from The Answer Man on Claremont. Since discovering The Answer Man, I won’t take my vehicles anywhere else. They treat me right, price things fairly, and have bent over backwards to help my sister-in-law out of a jam by fixing her broken car on their day off. They’re the best. Ask for Darren and tell him Tim with the Alfa sent you.

2. Thanks for the suggestion Tim. I will check them out in the near future, but hopefully not too near. ;)

3. Wow ok just seen this…THIS PLACE got he and my husband for over 1500 and well hahahahah We had a air conditioner some thing or another put in ….AIR STILL DONT WORK. Took it back they said they fixed it again lol AIR STILL DOESNT WORK.
    They cause lights to come on in the dash and than ignored them when we brought it back and said it was something they couldn’t fix …BUT THEY TURNED THE LIGHT ON HUHUHUHU So anyways long story short we have warranty on the parts they put in BUT NO WAY AM I TAKING MY CAR THERE SO THEY CAN BLEEP IT UP MORE. Rip off

4. I know Susan, they suck people in with that free diagnostic and then fall on their face with the actual repair.

5. i have never had a problem with them.

6. I have taken several of my cars there, I have not yet had a problem with their diagnostics or repair. It is sometimes hard to get in touch with them though. Their prices have been very competitive.

7. I too have never had a problem with the answer east(3 times). They are not the cheapest but they are reasonable. Especially reasonable if you consider how fast they are. Most problems can be fixed in one day. Dealers are the worst. Bottom-feeders who will keep your vehicle for weeks and then charge 150/hr labor. Until the answer east let’s me down, I will continue to recommend them.

8. I’ve taken my car there a couple times for repairs. The only reason I took it anywhere different the last few times is because family fixed it for the cost of parts. Anyway, I have never had a problem with them, ever. Everytime I’ve ever had to call they picked up immediately and even waited by the phone for my dad to call them back after I hung up since the diagnosis was way over my head! I had an oil filter or something like that replaced (my car was dieing randomly). Less than a year later the same part went out again. Dropped it off at the shop and called them the next day only to find out that they had already fixed it and it was ready to go for free (because the part was under warranty). I would suggest this place to anyone (I actually just did earlier today) and have nothing but good things to say about them.

9. We have taken more than a dozen cars to the answer east over the last 6-8 years. Not once did we ever experience rudeness or unexpected delays. Mark has always done our work in a timely and professional manner. My only complaint is that they arent in newburgh.

10. I just had my BMW X5 fixed and by Answer Man East and I found them to be very professional and they called me with an explanation of what work was going to be needed prior to starting any work and there was no pressure when I decided to hold off on some additional work that they said would be needed in the future. There were no surprises when I came to pick it up. They also gave me the part back that was replaced that I plan to send back to the Manufacturer with a complaint letter.

I have never had an issue with them in the past with my two Toyota vehicles that I had them repair as well. If you have a “Foreign” car as I have, they will always be my first call rather than dealing with the Stealerships.

11. I just took my car there last nigth. My 02 Impala has been having the brake light, battery light and airbag light coming on and all the gauges fluctuate back and forth. They called this morning and told me it was body control (computer) that needed replaced and my car would be ready to go by the end of the day. I called them around 3:00 to see if it was ready and they were waiting on the part to come from Mt. Vernon; called again around 4:00 and was told it was out of the bay on a test drive; called again around 4:30 it was back but they wanted to keep it a little longer to test drive it some more. Unfortunately, this is the only vehicle entire family can fit in so we picked it up at 4:55 (5 minutes before closing). After paying $450 my car still has the same problems, although not as frequent as they were. I left a message for them to tell them we weren’t going to pay anymore for them to repair the problem.

This was my first experience with them so the jury is still out.

12. @hoosiermama0305 any update on your experience?

Submit a Comment